Wednesday, May 31, 2017

We've Made the Switch!!


Hello and welcome to Montebello! I have made the transition from the Pietermaritzburg community to the Montebello Community, and everything is going wonderful so far! I have so many memories from my time with the brothers that I keep looking back on (and that I know I will continue to look back on for years to come), and it helps to know that I am only an hour away from them. I could not be more grateful for how welcoming and kind they were during my time there, and I am coming away from my weeks there with so many new friends and experiences. If any of the brothers happen to find this, thank you so much for everything (you rock!).
Saying goodbye to the Brothers and hello to the Sisters
Saying bye to Fr Martin, who helped me to plan my Fellowship!
            I’ve been in Montebello for 3 days now and it is a LOT different from Pietermaritzburg. It is much more rural, and the only neighbors that the Sisters have are the sugarcane crops, lots and lots of sugarcane crops! Montebello is also further into the mountains, and although this makes the temperature much colder, it also allows for some of the most spectacular views. The entire community is surrounded by the most beautiful landscape, and I feel so grateful to be able to see it every day. The Sisters here have also been so incredible; when I was meeting all of them they all went out of their way to say “you are most welcome here” and give me a big hug. They are such a kind bunch.
          One thing about Montebello that is amazing is that right outside the doors of the convent are so many opportunities to serve. These past few days, I have been observing and teaching in the all-girl high school here called Our Lady of the Rosary. I have been accompanying one of the science teachers here, Mrs. Hlella, to her classes and even had the opportunity to teach a few myself today, which was both very exciting and very nerve-wracking. Everything went wonderfully, though, and the students are all so involved and love to answer questions, which makes my life a lot easier! I am grateful to be here at this time of the year since a lot of the science teachers have units on Genetics and have asked me to assist with those classes in particular. Things are kicking into high-gear since their term is wrapping up and the 12th grade students have their final exams coming up in a few weeks! So far, things are going great with the classes and I love being able to share my love of science with so many beautiful souls!
Assembly time in the morning at Our Lady of the Rosary High School
          I have also been getting to know many of the students here, and they are so curious about life in the US! Most of them are living at a Boarding House during the school year, and this is also conveniently steps away from the convent. I have visited the students there a few times, and I have gotten so many hugs and questions! They are all so sweet and have so many smiles to share. Every night they have certain homework hours, and I am hoping to have the chance to come to their boarding house during these hours to see if I can offer any help.
With some of the Students!

          One other group of people I have had the chance to meet are the three Candidates. As a Candidate, these women are on the first step to becoming Dominican Sisters, and they are learning more about the Order and what it means to live as a consecrated religious. They are also very close to my own age, and are some of the funniest and kindest people I have ever met! We have had many adventures together already, and I know there will be many more to come.

          There are so many students and children here, it feels like a complete dream! I have met so many Sisters, students, and teachers, and I am looking forward to forming stronger relationships with each and every one of them! I feel beyond blessed by the incredible opportunities I have had here already in South Africa; these are some of the most thoughtful and loving people I have ever met.

          God Bless,

          Jen

1 comment:

  1. Amazing Jen! Montebello is a truly incredible place, and I wish you the best? Pass on my love to he staff at Our Lady!

    ReplyDelete